Advocates’ Diversity Advisory Council (DAC) is open to and comprised of representatives from all areas of the Advocates community. Staff members lead monthly meetings with a focus on planning events, building awareness, and sharing information about diversity-related best practices and concerns.
The mission of the DAC is to actively promote greater diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence in the Advocates community. The DAC advises Advocates Senior Leadsership Team and the larger Advocates community by providing ideas and leadership towards the ongoing development of an environment that recognizes, values, embraces, and welcomes all. The DAC aspires to:
- Help promote an environment in which personal and/or professional growth, advancement and equal participation are not hindered because of race, gender, gender identity and expression, ability, sexual orientation, culture, veterans’ status, age, ethnicity, religious beliefs and any other real or perceived differences.
- Create, improve and encourage equal opportunities for all members of the Advocates community by fostering personal and professional growth and development.
- Acknowledge the challenges involved in upholding the commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence and collaborate with the Advocates community to find ways to overcome these challenges.
- Identify and address discriminatory, structural, and prejudicial barriers (or practices) that prevent building and maintaining a diverse, inclusive and culturally competent Advocates community.
- Create and maintain a welcoming environment for all members of the Advocates community by intentionally and affirmatively recognizing and acknowledging strengths, gifts, and talents.