A portion of the Pine Grove Cemetery in Westborough is the site for more than 500 graves for patients with mental health challenges who resided at the Westborough State Hospital from the early 1900s up to 1987. Until now, no one knew the names of the buried. The deceased have been honored at a memorial service thanks to a group of dedicated volunteers, including several members of the Advocates community. This dedicated committee continues to research, fundraise, and raise awareness about these forgotten souls through The Westborough State Hospital Cemetery Memorial Project. The project committee is open to everyone in the community. Stay tuned for committee meetings and events to support the project.
In May 2017, a ceremony was held at the Pine Grove Cemetery to honor the former patients of the Westborough State Hospital who are buried there. Read full story from Community Advocates.
- Research and reclaim the names of all the people who are buried in unmarked graves within the Pine Grove Cemetery in Westborough.
- Fundraise in order to build a memorial for the deceased.
- Raise public awareness about these forgotten souls and our efforts to in some small measure, finally afford these people the dignity they deserve.
- Hold a well-publicized Memorial Ceremony that will acknowledge each individual buried in the Potters field and unveil the new Memorial.
Support the Project
- Visit and like the Project’s Facebook page: www.facebook.com/WestboroStateHospitalCemeteryProject
- Shop on Amazon Smile: Use smile.amazon.com when ordering from Amazon and choose Westborough Cemetery Memorial Project Fund as your charitable organization.
- Donate Online: gofundme.com/2k2n9fgk
- Donate by Mail: Checks can be made out to “Westborough Cemetery Memorial Project Fund” and mailed to PO box 3198, Framingham, MA 01705.
For more information contact Sarah Utka at (508) 320-5120 or SUtka@Advocates.org, or Glenn Malloy at (508) 877-2104.